Figuring out your hair care routine for fall when you have curly hair might seem like a mess, but thankfully in 2023 there are plenty of tips for fall hair care for curly hair. From tips for caring for your curly hair during fall, to hair care routines, and onto the best hair care products for curly hair for fall, this post has it all!
Keep reading for everything to know about fall hair care for curly hair!
Fall Hair Care for Curly Hair Tips
When it comes to caring for your natural hair during the fall time with curly hair, there are 10 things to keep in mind:
- Hydration is Key: Fall air tends to be drier, which can lead to hair becoming more prone to frizz and breakage. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and use a moisturizing, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Deep Conditioning: Incorporate deep conditioning treatments into your routine to keep your curls well-hydrated. Use a deep conditioner at least once a week to help prevent dryness.
- Avoid Over-Washing: Over-washing can strip your hair of its natural oils. In the fall, aim to wash your hair less frequently to retain moisture. Consider co-washing (using conditioner to cleanse) on non-shampoo days.
- Adjust Shampoo Frequency: If you have a dry scalp, consider using a hydrating shampoo and limiting your shampooing to once or twice a week. This will help retain your hair’s natural oils.
- Use a Microfiber Towel or T-shirt: Replace traditional terry cloth towels with a microfiber towel or a soft t-shirt to blot your hair dry gently. This helps reduce frizz and breakage while you tend to your wet hair.
- Protect Your Hair at Night: Use a satin or silk pillowcase to reduce friction on your hair while you sleep. You can also wrap your hair in a silk scarf or bonnet to prevent frizz and maintain your curl type.
- Avoid Heat Styling: Try to limit the use of heat styling tools like straighteners and curling irons, as they can further dehydrate your curls. Opt for heatless styling methods, like braids or twists, to achieve different looks.
- Apply a Leave-In Conditioner: Apply a leave-in conditioner after washing your hair to lock in moisture and define your curls. Look for products specifically designed for curly hair.
- Regular Trims: Even in the fall, regular trims are essential to keep your curls looking their best. Trimming your hair every 6-8 weeks can help prevent split ends and maintain your desired shape.
With those tips in mind, let’s dive a bit deeper into natural hair care for curly hair, curly hair routines for fall, and ideas for fall haircuts for curly hair!
Natural Hair Care for Curly Hair for Fall
Fall natural hair care for curly hair requires a focus on hydration and protection as the weather gets cooler and drier. When the air becomes crisp, it’s essential to maintain the moisture balance in your curls.
While the curly girl method does work for many, it might not work for you. If you are looking to personalize your curly hair care routine, check out these steps to creating a luxe curly hair care routine.
To do this, opt for sulfate-free, moisturizing shampoos and conditioners to prevent dryness, and incorporate deep conditioning treatments into your routine to keep your curls well-nourished. Adding in protective hair oils is also a good idea. I share quite a few recommendations for these products down below.
Another tip would be to try out a less frequent washing schedule to preserve natural oils, and consider co-washing between shampoos. Co-washing, short for “conditioner washing,” is a hair care method in which you use conditioner instead of shampoo to cleanse your hair, helping to retain natural oils and moisture, especially beneficial for curly or textured hair. Shampoo only once a week.
One of the most talked about tips for caring for curly hair during fall is to use a microfiber towel or a gentle t-shirt for drying because it can minimize frizz and breakage. Air dry works too.
Then at night, protect your curls with a satin or silk pillowcase .
Another suggestion would be to stick to heatless styling methods for curly hair, utilize leave-in conditioners, and consider protective hairstyles to protect your hair from the elements.
Regular trims throughout the season will help maintain your hair’s health and shape, ensuring your curls stay vibrant and beautiful as well!
Curly Hair Care Routine for Fall
A thought out curly hair care routine for the fall season is all about adapting to the changing weather conditions. As the air gets cooler and drier, it’s crucial to focus on maintaining moisture in your curls.
Start by using a hydrating, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to combat dryness, and don’t over-wash your hair – aim for a once or twice weekly shampoo schedule, with co-washing as an option in between.
Deep conditioning treatments become your best friend to keep those curls well-hydrated. To prevent frizz, gently blot your hair dry with a microfiber towel or a soft t-shirt, as mentioned above.
Embrace the use of leave-in conditioners and natural hair care oils to lock in moisture and define your curls.
In between washes, be sure to care for your hair at night by utilizing silk/satin pillowcases or a hair bonnet as well.
Haircuts for Curly Hair for Fall
Some great protective haircuts for curly hair for fall include:
- Shoulder-Length Layers: This haircut features layers that start around the chin and cascade down the length of the hair. It adds movement and volume to curly hair while keeping it manageable. It’s a versatile option for fall as it works well with different curl patterns.
- Long Bob (Lob): The long bob, or “lob,” is a trendy and timeless choice. It typically falls just above the shoulders and is a great option for those who want to keep some length while reducing the weight of their curls. It’s easy to style and maintain, making it ideal for fall.
- Curly Pixie Cut: For those looking for a bold and low-maintenance option, the curly pixie cut is a fantastic choice. It can help control frizz and keep your hair looking sleek during the fall months. It’s a chic and edgy look that stands out in any season.
- Curly Shag: The curly shag is a layered haircut that works well with natural curls. It adds texture and movement while reducing bulk. It’s a playful and trendy choice that can complement the cozy fall fashion.
- Curly Bangs: Curly bangs can add a touch of sophistication to your look for fall. Whether you opt for short or long curly bangs, they can frame your face beautifully and accentuate your natural curls. Be sure to work with a stylist experienced in curly hair to achieve the best results.
Best Fall Hair Care for Curly Hair Products
Now that you have an idea of how to care for your curly hair during the chilly fall months, let’s take a dive into some of the best hair care products for curly hair during fall!
Hair Treatments for Curly Hair for Fall
Your curly hair care routine is nothing without a good deep conditioner. A quality leave-in conditioner is key to maintaining your luscious fall curls this season. Here are some of the best deep conditioning treatments and detanglers for curly hair that you have to try this fall:
Hair Shampoo for Curly Hair for Fall
Finding the right shampoo for your curly hair this fall is key to keeping as much of the moisture in your hair as you can as many shampoos out there strip away the oils that your curly hair needs to thrive. Here are some of the best moisturizing shampoos for curly hair for fall:
Hair Conditioner for Curly Hair for Fall
Deep conditioners are great for occasional use, but you will also need a quality, hydrating hair conditioner for curly hair for the rest of the days! Here are some of the best conditioners for the perfect curly hair routine:
Scalp Scrub for Curly Hair for Fall
Styling Products for Curly Hair for Fall
Hair Styling Products for Curly Hair for Fall
Finally, we have some of the most important tools for your fall curly hair care routine; hair styling products. I have also included hair upkeep products for curly hair care routines in this section. Here are some of the best hair styling products for curly hair this fall:
- Silk Pillowcase: Silk or satin pillowcases help protect your curl pattern and lead to less frizz after a night’s sleep.
- Coconut Oil: One of the primary benefits of using coconut oil for curly hair is its ability to combat frizz. Apply a small amount to your hair after washing and conditioning to seal in moisture and keep frizz at bay.
- Microfiber Towel: Microfiber towels have a smooth surface that causes less friction compared to traditional cotton towels. This reduced friction helps minimize frizz, which is a common concern for those with curly hair and often occurs from the use of a regular towel.
- Shower Cap: Shower caps serve as a protective barrier between your hair and the showerhead in between wash days.
- Wide Tooth Comb: Wide-tooth combs are designed to gently and effectively detangle curly hair. They can separate the curls without causing excessive breakage or damage, making it easier to manage knots and snarls.
- Spray Bottle: To help define your curls between wash days, use a spray bottle with some water to spritz and re-define your curls.
Keep in mind that while all of these products can aid in your curly hair care routine, they are not all necessary at the same time. Choose one hair care oil, for example, and stick with it to see if it helps your hair curl pattern. If it doesn’t after a few weeks, swap off to another option from this list.
There you have it. The best fall hair care for curly hair tips and products! Check out our post on fall hair hairstyles.
Did you learn anything new from this post? Find a new hair care product to try out? Us curly girls have to stick together, so let me know!