This blog post “Frieda’s Purple Sweet Potato Pie Recipe” was originally published on November 21, 2019, and updated on October 24, 2022.
This is one of my favorite recipes to make for Thanksgiving or any special occasion. My LA foodie family loves it too. Frieda’s Purple Sweet Potato Pie Recipe is the vegan and gluten-free version of the Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Pie recipe by Frieda’s Produce. I make slight moderations to the original Frieda’s Purple® Sweet Potato Pie Recipe to make it vegan and gluten-free. Also, I added my own personal twist to Frieda’s Purple® Sweet Potato Pie Recipe.
All the products suggested for this recipe are organic and kosher.
Frieda’s Produce is specialty produce in Los Angeles offering exotic and unique produce. It’s a women-owned business. Frieda is a true inspiration to all women entrepreneurs. She was the first woman in the US to own and operate a fresh produce company.
Frieda’s Purple Sweet Potato Pie Recipe is the PERFECT pie to make for Thanksgiving along with Crispy Chicken with Rice and Lemon Slices or Fried Chicken Potato Latkes. If you’re a beginner to vegan food or cooking, start with these recipes first.
Frieda’s Purple Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Ingredients for This Thanksgiving Pie Recipe
- 1 9-inch frozen, pre-made Gluten-Free pie crust
- 2 – 2.5 baked, peeled, and cooled * Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes (5-6 inches long)
- 3/4 cup Whole Foods coconut milk can
- 4 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 cup of monk fruit sweetener
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract or rose water
- 1 cup of coconut whipped cream
- Pecans or walnut, whole or crushed
All the tools you need for Frieda’s Purple Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Cooking steps for Frieda’s Purple Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pie crust for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender container or food processor, blend the chopped sweet potatoes, coconut milk, safflower oil, flaxseed, cinnamon, allspice, sea salt, monk fruit sweetener, and vanilla/rosewater until smooth. If too thick to blend, add 1-2 teaspoons of coconut milk.
- When the crust is done, increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Transfer pie crust to a wire rack; carefully pour in filling. Smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Put the pie back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Then, decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- When done, the crust should be barely golden and the filling should look set. Remove the pie and allow it to cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and place in the refrigerator to cool overnight.
- Before serving, allow the pie to come to room temperature. Top pie with the whipped cream and any toppings of choice. Slice and serve.
If you want to skip the cooking and cleaning on Thanksgiving, click here for a list of the best Thanksgiving Dinners in Los Angeles.